Friday, April 10, 2009

No Place for Old Men

The trip from Chengdu to Osaka seemed like it would be long, but not difficult. The 2.5 hour flight from Chengdu to Shanghai would leave at 7.45, then a 2-hour layover in Shanghai, and a 2-hour flight to Osaka. From the Osaka airport, there's a train to the city center, and my hotel sits on top of the train station. Piece of cake.

First problem was at Chengdu airport, where the agent tells me I can't check my bags through to Osaka. Huh? The two flights would be on different airlines, but they are both Star Alliance airlines, and Im on a single ticket from Chengdu to Osaka. No go sez the agent, I can only check your bag to Shanghai.

Land in Shanghai, plane parks at the furthest gate, about 20 or 30 miles from the terminal. The terminal is hot, of course, and half of the (few to begin with) moving walkways turn out to be non-moving walkways. Eventually reach the baggage claim, then start searching for the departure area, for which there are no signs. By this point, I am in a foul mood. Reach the check-in a full 45 minutes after the plane had parked at the gate, politely told the check-in agent that it was preposterous that I had to reclaim bags and check in again. She smiled, told me that "unfortunately" Shanghai airport does not have any interline baggage facilities. Are you kidding me!?!?!?!

So I get my boarding pass, head off to go through immigration and security, and 30 yards before the immigration line a muscle gives way in my calf and I go down like a shot, Fuck, fuck, ten thousand fucks, ten million curses on every goddamned Chinese who decided that Shanghai airport would be some 3rd world outpost.

So now I am here in Osaka, hobbling. Hobbling down the hotel corridor and the streets, like a Dickensian wretch.

Are you feeling sorry for me yet? Don't waste your time: I still managed to enjoy some great sushi today, got myself to a modest park where the cherry blossoms were in full bloom, and I'm making the best of it. Hoping that another night's rest will help.

No comments: