Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Business 101

More of the same today: up at a leisurely hour, wander the streets with no particular destination in mind, stop for a coffee or snack at a sidewalk cafe every hour or so, with a plate of pasta and a beer for lunch. Life is simple.

I did come across an astounding sight this morning as I was on the city bus (which is, of course, a boat) headed for the other side of town. The thing about Venice is that every building looks as if it has been there for 275 years, which it probably has, except this one place on Main St (the Grand Canal) that seems to be made of modern reflective glass, like it was in a city or something. The effect is amazing, as the building reflects both the water and the other joints across the street:

Seriously, this is more of a theme park than it is a city.

So my routine got broken after lunch when I got on the wrong bus, which turned out to be a non-stopper until it reached the island of Murano, about 10 minutes from Venice. Murano is known for its glass, and I wasn't at all upset about the unexpected diversion. Went into one of the 1,226 glass shops, eyed an especially nice piece that would fit pretty well in the living room, and my eyeing was eyed by the sleazy salesguy, whose name turned out to be Michele. (Pronouned mi-KAY-lee, for those of you scoring at home. Also pronounced mi-KAY-lee for those of you home by yourselves.) Anyway, he tells me that the sticker price says 3,800 euros, but he has a special deal just for me. First, I don't have to pay the VAT tax because I'm from the US, and then he will give me a 20% discount. I'm sort of playing along, saying I want to look around at other shops (it's a nice piece, but not THAT nice), when Michele's boss materializes and whispers in his ear. Michele then pulls me over into the corner of the room and starts whispering to me -- I'm not exactly sure why, as there was absolutely no one else in the room -- about The Ultimate Deal. Do I have 2 credit cards, Michele asks? Aye, sez I. Use 2 credit cards, put half the price on each, and we'll knock the price down to 2,000 euros, sez he. Then, in an even lower whisper so that the non-existent other people in the room absolutely won't overhear, Michele explains why he wants 2 credit cards: He'll use 1 credit card receipt for the accountants for reporting his taxes, and he'll pocket the money from the other credit card without telling those bastard tax collectors. Bravo, Michele, and welcome, Mr Topaz, to the Italian way of doing business.

I didn't take the glass piece, but did take a couple more photos. Tomorrow is a travel day, up early then fly to Tokyo via Zurich.

Taxi cab:

Intersection of Water Street and Water Street:

Gondolier:

2 Russian spies:

Street scene:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

how much is a euro going for these days?

Traveling with Don Topaz said...

about $1.40 last I noticed