Friday, September 19, 2008

Everything is new, everything is old

New blog, new trip, same curmudgeonly old fart.

Anyway, I'm planning to write whatever suits me, maybe post a few photos, and who knows what else during my trips here and there. This time, here and there includes Bologna and Venice in Italy, then Tokyo, Kyoto, and some rural spa in Japan.

I haven't left Billerica yet and there's an issue. Supposed to fly out at 7:50 tonight on a flight to Munich and then connect to Bologna. Assuming that bad things are likely to happen, I checked the status of the incoming flight, the one from Munich to Boston, and it's at least 2 hours late. Which means my flight to Munich is late, which means I miss the connection to Bologna. Feh. A few calls to Lufthansa and I'm now rerouted on a much earlier flight from Boston throuh Frankfurt, which also will get me to Bologna a few hours earlier than planned. I can live with that.

This you see is one of the advantages of traveling solo. For me, making a last minute change and leaving the house at 1.30 instead of 5.30 is no big deal. But if I had been traveling with ...well, any of my previous travel companions, I cannot imagine the scene that would have ensued if I even thought of such a change, let alone suggested it.

The main casualty has been Lola. She caught me packing and knows that I'm leaving. Life is tough when you're a cat at my house.

The end.

No comments: